PESSE FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fixing Unity crash in Natty Narwhal

Go down

Fixing Unity crash in Natty Narwhal Empty Fixing Unity crash in Natty Narwhal

Post by thoshi11 Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:25 am

A few days ago, I managed to crash Unity on my Natty Narwhal which has a plethora of bugs by the way. How I crashed it? All I did was enable desktop cube withing Compiz-config Settings Manager and wham! My screen went haywire! Well, had to do a lot of googling around to find how to fix the crash. Here's a li'l tutorial for any of you who decide to make any changes to Unity and get it to crash.

When Unity crashes, you can see no panels. Window borders disappear and you can see huge relics on your screen. Keyboard shortcuts don't seem to work. It's just complete madness.

So here's what you do.

1) Fire up the terminal by pressing Ctr+Alt+T (this works if you are lucky Razz). Otherwise press Alt + F2. If that too is not possible, reboot and log in in Classic mode.

2) Then type
Code:
unity --replace
Wait for the process to finish. Sometimes the process might just get stuck, but don't worry about that. Give it about a few extra minutes and close the terminal.

3) Then type
Code:
unity --replace-icons
Reboot your computer and log in back using Unity.

Unity should should have been fixed. If not, well, Google is your friend Wink

Note:- Do not change anything in compiz-config settings manager when using Unity unless you know what you are doing.

thoshi11

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum